Levi was my beautiful little boy - full of mischief, fun and love. He enjoyed a normal six year old life, packed full of power rangers, toys, parties, school, friends and never ending hugs and kisses from his adoring family. He started feeling unwell and complaining of headaches in Dec 2005. Despite our growing concern and increasingly desperate attempts to make doctors and specialists listen to us and give Levi a CT scan sooner, it was later - in fact too late by the time they did actually scan him. The CT scan revealed the devastating news that Levi had a tumour in his cerebellum, growing down into his brain stem.Our world fell apart.
Levi was admitted to hospital immediately and underwent a 12 hour operation to de-bulk his tumour. Despite putting up a real power ranger, hero’s fight, my gorgeous boy became critically ill. Levi died in my arms, surrounded by his loving and devastated family, six weeks later, on August 29 2006.
Our lives were shattered, our hearts smashed into a million pieces-how do you even begin to carry on, without the one little person that you love more than life itself?
We are slowly moving forward. The pain is no less, but we believe that starting a charity in Levi’s name and memory will hopefully bring something positive out of something incredibly negative. We wish to raise money to help other children and their families, who find themselves in a similar nightmare and who are suffering in a variety of ways.
Levi’s Star was established as a charity in August 2008. The charity is in memory of my gorgeous little boy Levi, who tragically lost his precious life to a brain tumour, just 6 weeks after the devastating diagnosis. Levi was only 6½ years old. (see Levi’s story)
Levi’s Star supports children with brain tumours and their families throughout Yorkshire.
Our three objectives are:
- The provision of grants and financial assistance
- Promoting research into centres for cures of brain tumours
- Raising awareness of brain tumour symptoms
Scroll down for more info...
How we are helping...(Click on a twinkling star)
We are only too aware that the diagnosis of a brain tumour is absolutely devastating.
Life for children with brain tumours and their families is changed in an instant. It isn’t just the horror of the diagnosis, it’s the realisation that brain tumours and their treatment can cause physical and mental changes that could be permanent. In fact some parents of children with brain tumours may even have to become full time carers.
Such changes could include:
- Weakness down one side of the body
- Poor balance, or shakes
- Some may lose the sight of one, or both eyes
- Some may have hearing difficulties
- Growth problems
- Early, or late puberty & fertility problems
- Educational problems – problems with new learning (skills, or ideas), poor short term memory, problem solving
- Learning difficulties – needing extra support at school, or in a special unit
- Behavioural problems
With all these issues in mind we are only too happy to help as many children with brain tumours as possible, for as long as possible.
How you can help...
You can donate money to Levi's Star - all amounts gratefully accepted.
You could organise an event in aid of Levi's Star, such as:
- coffee morning
- sponsored walk
- sponsored disco
- jumble sale
- sponsored silence
- dress down days at work
- sponsored cycle
- anything else you want to do!!!
Please e-mail us at email@example.com
or call Vicky on 07971 932610 Click here to see our special thanks page to see all those who have already help us.
- Post - Cheques, or postal orders should be made payable to Levi’s Star and sent to:
c/o 41 Beaumont Street
- Text - Text Levi11 followed by £1, £2, £3, £4, £5, or £10 to 70070
- PayPal - You can use PayPal to make one off or reqular payments
- MyDonate - Go to our MyDonate website where you can make regular donations, a one off donation, or create a page for an event you are doing.
- Standing Order - To set up a regular donation to Levi’s Star with your bank, or building society, you can use the standing order form. You can donate whatever you want and you are protected by the standing order guarantee.
- Justgiving - Go to our Justgiving website where you can make regular donations, a one off donation, or create a page for an event you are doing.
- Easyfundraising - it’s simple once you’ve registered with easyfundraising you shop with your chosen retailer, but simply by using the easyfundraising link from the site each purchase you make will generate a cash back donation for Levi’s Star. That’s it!
Levi’s Angels Bereavement Support Drop in Centre
We have opened a bereavement support drop in centre, for any bereaved adult who is suffering the heartache of any kind of bereavement. The centre offers support in the following ways:
- A listening ear
- A place to be around people who have an understanding of grief
- Emotional support if needed
- Holistic treatments if desired (by appointment only)
- Access to 1-1 counselling (by appointment only)
- Sign posting to other bereavement services
- Grief recovery programme run by a grief recovery specialist
- Facilitated support groups