Our Support Services
Levi’s Star provides a children and young people’s brain tumour education outreach support service. We offer educational advice and support for children and young people living with the effects of brain tumours.
- Educational advice and support for children and young people who have survived a brain tumour, returning to school/college and throughout school/college.
- Access to a SEN educational specialist teacher to help families and schools/college/university identify individual needs of 5-25 year old brain tumour survivors.
- Guidance/training for teaching assistants, teachers and SENDCOs on how to implement support for children and young people living with the effects of a brain tumour.
- Free access arrangement assessments for children and young people within education and the workplace (this is where we assess the child or young person for concessions within exams, for example, reader, scribe or extra time).
- Access to dyslexia assessments for children and young people living with the effects of a brain tumour.
- Signposting to other services within your area.
We offer education support and advice to children and young adults who are receiving, or have completed, treatment for a brain tumour. There is no time limit on the support offered, as we are committed to providing the right support to children, young people and families at a time when they need it.
Where and How?
We work with children, young people, and schools/colleges across Yorkshire. We also have an honorary contract with the LGI who often refer children and families to our service. Vicky Ringer, our specialist teacher and leader of the education outreach service, attends the brain tumour clinic every Tuesday morning at the LGI. You do not need an appointment to speak to her at the clinic and she can most often be found in the waiting area. Please feel free to ask her advice if you have any concerns regarding school support for your child. We also welcome referrals from other hospitals, social workers, GPs, schools and self-referrals. In short, anyone who has the permission of the parent or carer can refer to us. Please contact Vicky Ringer, Children and Young People’s Brain Tumour Education Outreach Specialist, for more information about this service on:
Vicky Ringer – Specialist SEN Teacher and Service Leader, supporting 0-25 yrs
07971 932610 or email email@example.com